Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Otello on Oxford

As the older, slightly mad grandchild I was tasked with taking a gaggle of younger cousins rifle shooting. The pay off was a lunch allowance so after a morning on the range, I took the boys to Otello on Oxford. Otello on Oxford is a small Italian restaurant in Bulimba. The restaurant is mainly alfresco dining and offers a range of savoury and home made desserts. In my youth I used to dine there quite regularly and admired the consistency and balance of their creamy pasta sauces. The sauces always had enough taste and body, but were light enough to leave you feeling full, without feeling bloated. The photo above is their Gnocchi with two cheeses and mushroom.

Maybe I was inspired by the gorgeous Italian waiter but I decided to select something different and ordered the Fettuccine Tricolori. This dish was tomato fettuccine enveloped in a cream sauce, served on a bed of pureed asparagus with flaked salmon and pecorino. Though I really adore asparagus I felt it was a touch over powering but the salmon was amazing. So moist and flavoursome.

My brother on the hand decided to be a little more homely in his tastes and ordered an Irish Coffee and the Roast Chicken Risotto and each grain had the perfect bit of spring that can only come from experience. I've been dining on and off at Ortellos for more than five years and am yet to have a bad experience so if you're after pasta and a slice of Tiramisu, it's well worth the visit.

Rating: 3 out of 5.
Address: 1/180 Oxford Street, Bulimba, QLD, 4171.
Open: 7 days a week, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Phone: (07) 3217 9809
Price: Mains $15 - $30.

Otello on Oxford on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment