Monday, April 11, 2011

Date and Walnut Loaf

My first job out of the family business was working at the former Eagle Street Pier Muffin Break. Though I love the hospitality industry, you tend to feel a little mechanical in this setting as you aren't as connected to your product. So my favourite jobs were icing the muffins, making beverages or cutting up raw ingredients. Still to this day I enjoy the sensation and smell of cutting up dates and when my Mother asked me to make a cake for Ching Ming (the clear bright or tomb sweeping festival) I decided to make a Date and Walnut Loaf. Here is 100g of butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 cup chopped dates in a saucepan set on a medium heat.

Here is the combined mixture with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda. Looks rather unappetising.


Added 1 cup of walnuts, 1 1/2 cup self raising flour, teaspoon mixed spice and one beaten egg before spooning the mixture into a lined and lightly buttered silicone loaf tin.

I then baked the mixture for 45 minutes at 180°C. I think this loaf should have been baked another 10 - 15 minutes more as the center sunk. :(


Here is the finished result. It is an extremely fragrant and easy going cake as there is no beating and all you need is one saucepan. It's a winner if you are in a hurry to bake something for a workplace morning tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment