Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gambaro's Seafood Restaurant

Established in 1972, Gambaro's Seafood Restaurant is the jewel in the crown of a Brisbane family empire. Located on bustling Caxton Street, stepping into Gambaro's is remarkably tranquil. The restaurant has been refurbished since my last visit and though a tad dark, the area is clean and modern. The staff are attentive and welcoming and with a range of breads, I selected a moreish olive and herb bread. This was satisfying before my main arrived with a small seafood rissole taster (pictured above). A tastebud's lifespan is approximately 10 days, so when they are pretty happy critters when offered something deep fried ... however my arteries and thighs may be suitably horrified later.

For my main I had selected the Pan seared Prawns with Ravioli of Spinach and Ricotta. Roast garlic pods, parsley, saffron aioli and pinenuts. Though the prawns were plentiful, fresh and deveined, I was disappointed with this dish. For an establishment that prides themselves on seafood, you want this component to shine rather than obscuring it with layers of rustically chopped aromatic ingredients, you want to see your seafood. I didn't realise I even had additional prawns until I started shifting through my meal as the prawns were sliced in half and unrecognisable under the sauce. I really wanted something more from Gambaro's and it was unfortunately lacklustre with the bread and service being the only shining beacons.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.
Address: 33 Caxton Street, Paddington, QLD 4000.
Open: Lunch 11:30am - 3pm, Monday - Friday. Dinner from 5:30pm, Monday - Saturday.
Phone: (07) 3369 9500
Price: Entree $6.50 - $39.00, Main $26.50 upwards.

Gambaros on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment