Sunday, June 19, 2011

Jeremy's on Albert

It isn't uncommon for me to have a biscuit in my mouth as I am frantically running along somewhere. I will only stop when I've found someone suitable to shout at and a year ago I used to encounter the same gentleman before I entered class. He was an old world sort, sporting a three piece suit and an analytical expression. This gentleman is Mister Manning and it seemed too soon that he finished his course and departed back to Hong Kong. So when he recently returned to Brisbane, we caught up for dinner at Jeremy's on Albert. I really like Jeremy's for breakfast as it has a good selection, relaxed and occasionally offers live music. However it is a very different beast in the evening and is perhaps a little too stiff for my liking.


I decided to order the Trio of Wild Mushroom Risotto and I must admit it quite confronting to be faced with a pool of oil. Though the mushrooms had the most gorgeous texture and the dish was pleasant, I find it difficult to fully appreciate a meal when it is poorly presented. We faced a similar presentation issue with Mister Manning's Liquorice Panna Cotta, Raspberry Tapioca and Mint Dessert. I've had a number of really wonderful experiences at Jeremy's so I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest that perhaps it was the chef's eyes had gone on a holiday?


Red Wine Poached Pear with honeyed walnuts and a mascarpone cream. Though I really love toffee and nuts, they were difficult to work through as we had a lot of catch up. The staff were attentive and I am just hopeful that this evening was just a minor hiccup in the usual performance.

Rating: 3 out of 5.
Address: 93 Albert Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000.
Open: Monday - Friday: 7am - 10pm. Saturday: 7am - 12pm. 5:30pm - 10pm.
Phone: (07) 3210 6529.
Price: Dinner: $21 - $38.

Jeremy's Espresso Bistro on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. 'Stiff' sums up the evening vibe to a tee. I mostly attribute this to Jeremy himself...

    ReplyDelete