Sunday, June 19, 2011

Brisbane Winter Festival

Tania of Awesome likes to keep her finger on the pulse, so when she forwarded an email deal where I could get two tickets to the Brisbane Winter Festival for $33, I snapped up the deal. The Brisbane Winter Festival is being held in King George Square until June 26, 2011 and features an outdoor skating rink and a number of European foodstalls selling Glühwein, Bratwurst, Poffertjes, Langos, Goulash, Woodfired Pizza, Churros and much to my Mother's grumbles Organic Donuts (Donuts don't grow on trees she says). Unfortunately the quality of the outdoor rink isn't there due to Brisbane's climate which ensures at least an inch of water covers the ice at all times (so if you come unbalanced you will have to wander the city looking like you have lost control of your bladder), the rink is uneven and you have to keep your eye open for rampaging fluro seals. These fluro seals can be hired so you can include your small children in this event (read this as prams on ice). I would be pretty disappointed if I paid $20 to skate, $7 to hire the ice skates ... but I didn't so I rather enjoyed the novelty of it all.


My deal was made even better when I was presented with two mugs containing virgin Glühwein. Glühwein is an extremely sweet but delicious spiced red wine drink. My recommendation would be to skate in an indoor rink, unless you really want to skate under the night sky and to purchase a mug and watch everyone hug the side of the rink and fall over. Glühwein is even more delicious with a side of schadenfreude.

No comments:

Post a Comment