Monday, May 30, 2011

Norm Mai Chi

My little brother and I have spent a greater part of our childhood in the kitchen as our parents owned a small Chinese takeaway business. Because we spent every moment being immersed in the culture and food, we generally prefer cooking anything but Cantonese Cuisine ... but the fact is my Mum's generation is not going to be around forever and I feel it is important to continue to carry on culinary traditions. My workplace is holding an international Australia's Biggest Morning Tea, so I decided it was the perfect opportunity for Mum to tutor me in the art of making Nor Mai Chi. Nor Mai Chi are custard filled sweets, enveloped in a glutinous rice flour pastry and finished with a dusting of coconut. Mum and I had lovely afternoon and I thought I would share with you a snippet of the conversation:

Mum: "We could put a piece of cherry on top of each one?"

Me: "I don't like my food looking like a boob."

Mum: "But it's the Cancer Fund and we could make two big ones."

Me: * Groan. * "It's Australia's Biggest Morning Tea, not Pink Ribbon Day."

My Mum's such a dork but I was a great bonding session. What have you learned to cook from your parent/s?

No comments:

Post a Comment