Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Patty Cakes vs Cup Cakes

A couple of colleagues and I were chatting away about how adorable the Australia's Biggest Morning Tea Cupcakes were, when our Head of Programs and Research strolled in. She said that she objected to the name cupcakes as it was Americanised and claimed they ought to be called patty cakes. This has got me thinking as I call the liners 'patty pans' and differentiate between a patty cake and a cup cake based on size and style. What do you call your single serve cakes? Where do you draw the line? Discuss.


  1. Patty cake, patty cake, baker's man.
    Bake me a cake as fast as you can;
    Pat it and prick it and mark it with B,
    Put it in the oven for baby and me.

    (used to call them patty cakes but now find myself saying cupcakes... I think I might start calling them patty cakes again, it is better)

  2. Thanks Simone. :D Maybe we need to have an active movement to bring back the name patty cake ... hmmm.

  3. I always assumed patty cakes where flatter than cupcakes, hence the usage of the name "patty". This might be from the fact that the patty cake wrappers of my childhood were much shorter than many of cupcake wrappers you see these days.

    Perhaps a comparison may help? Though I suspect this will be negated by the sheer variety of sizes in cake wrappers. I believe Shingle Inn markets their cupcakes as patty cakes.

  4. Agree with Yena there.

    Also, from memory, aren't patty cake pans a bit smaller than cupcake pans- more shallow? Raid any nannas pantry and you might find a very old patty cake pan ;)