Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lemon Yoghurt Cakes

You would think after taking on the Adriano Zumbo V8 Cake on the weekend that I wouldn't be back in the kitchen so soon. But here I am road testing a Lemon Yoghurt Cake recipe by 2010 MasterChef Runner Up Callum Hann. I think out of all the Australia's Biggest Morning Tea recipes this one is the most accessible as it uses pantry essentials and basic baking equipment.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Take a large mixing bowl and add one egg, six tablespoons margarine (I used butter), 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and one cup Greek yoghurt.



Quickly whisk the mixture until just combined. Callum’s recipe says to combine your dry ingredients in a separate bowl, but I chose to ignore this instruction and added my dry ingredients to the same bowl.


Add 1 ¾ cup sifted plain flour, ¾ cup caster sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon baking soda and ¼ teaspoon salt.


Fold until just combined and don’t be afraid of how thick the batter looks. Spoon into a lightly greased muffin pan. I found this recipe made 12 cakes but this will depend on the size of pan.


Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. I found 20 minutes was adequate.


Sadly after I removed them from the oven they started to sink but I found the gentle indent was just perfect for serving them with a little more Greek yoghurt and blueberries. The cakes are moist, dense and were well received at morning tea. If you haven't visited the Australia's Biggest Morning Tea Website then do as there are a number of wonderful recipes and it might just inspire you to host one.

No comments:

Post a Comment