Thursday, January 27, 2011

Closet Hippy Mum


I admit it, I'm a closet hippy Mum who dilligently subscribes her child a grain free diet. No I don't have a love child, but I do however have a lovable delinquent Border Collie named Baci who loves ... EVERYTHING! I'm almost certain that this dog thinks in caps locks.

A TRIP TO THE BEACH IN THE MINI?! MY FAVOURITE THING!
STOLEN THE NEIGHBOUR'S KIDS BALL! MY FAVOURITE THING!
FOOD! MY FAVOURITE THING!

And so the list goes on ... but why did I sign up my dog to such a diet? I believe that wild dogs rarely consume grain and the only time this occurs is when they tuck into a small portion of the stomach contents of their kill. I've considered feeding Ziwipeak, which comprises of air dried, human grade lamb or venison, free of antibiotics, but unfortunately it costs a bomb and until I'm supreme Marketing overlord of the world, unaffordable. I've also tried many other formulas including K9 Natural Freeze Dried Food, which is a great solution if you are mobile or camping, as it's feather light. You have rehydrate the food with warm water which tends to take valuable time when you are trying to dash out the door for work.

So where does this leave me? It leaves me with Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal Dog. It comes in 13.6kg bags which you can have delivered to your door. It's also a good quality kibble and Miss Baci has been happily eating it for years. However sometimes you want to give your dog something different and I used to feed the odd can of Nature's Gift, but then I found a tin of Artemis Fresh Mix in my latest delivery. It's the perfect size for a medium size dog and like the dry food, a nutritious option.

I was thinking recently if I subscribed to the same philosophy of historical eating that I really shouldn't be eating dairy as the Chinese have survived for years without it. However I like creamy french brie with a sliver of quince paste on a feather light cracker ... so it's not happening. So occasionally I still bake the odd treat for Baci and she finds her grain by stealing duck food and unceremoniously rolling in duck poo. Bless my dumb dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment