Thursday, July 14, 2011

Going Pear Shaped

The Winter chill heralds the start of stores being filled with a bounty of gorgeous brown Beurre Bosc Pears which are just dying to become beautiful desserts. I though I entreat you to use this bounty, I thought I would share some of my favourite pear disasters:
  • The first time I made Poires Belle Helene, I was unable to source Beurre Bosc Pears so I attempted Matt Moran's recipe with Ya Pears. I was lucky that my guest was so forgiving but this is not something I recommend as Ya Pears remained crisp even after hours of cooking.

  • I also recently attempted this Pear and Marsala Crumble Cake. Unfortunately I forgot to add the crumble topping until 30 minutes into the cooking process, so after hastily placing the topping on the cake, the visual ended up being like the cake version of being dragged into hell. All I could do was stand outside of the oven yelling, "nnooooooo!" It wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever made but its pretty tasty so I am going to attempt it again soon.

So when has it gone pear shaped for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment