Saturday, March 5, 2011

Coffee and Chocolate

There is something dangerous lurking around Brisbane, it's like Godzilla rising from the ocean, it's a Krakatoa waiting to blow .... but worse as there is nothing quite as terrifying as an angry foodie.

I had a couple of hours before my next appointment and with the pouring rain I decided it would be prudent to settle down in a cafe and start drafting one of my university papers. I decided to settle on Coffee and Chocolate in Queens Plaza as it's light, open plan and has a range of desserts that remind me of now closed and much missed, Fude and Drinc. I ordered an English Breakfast Tea and a Lemon Meringue Tart at the counter from a helpful young lad. The tea came served on stylish homeware and the Lemon Meringue Tart, though expensive at $7 each was full of taste and well presented, but that's where the positives end.

So why does Coffee and Chocolate rile me? Well it is painfully clear to me that the passion is lacking with the cleaning products are left in clear view of the customers, the magazine holders in disarray and an obvious residing labelling enthusiast (see photo above). But worst of all, there isn't any pride in the food. My dessert came served on a warm plate, which meant the cream yellowed and was melting fast. Every time I encounter an establishment like this, it makes me angry. Food isn't simply about nourishing the body, it is about nourishing the soul, it is a passion and anyone who doesn't feel that way about their establishment, simply shouldn't be there. Coffee and Chocolate is a convenient location but it shouldn't be a destination on your food radar.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.
Address: 226 Queen Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000.
Open: Monday - Thursday. 7:30am - 5pm. Friday. 7:30am - 9pm. Weekends. 9am - 5pm.
Phone: (07) 3229 7799.


Coffee & Chocolate on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment