Monday, April 4, 2011

Pistachio Hedgehog Slice

I was invited to a dinner with friends when Facebook kindly alerted to the fact it wasn't just Dean's birthday but also Skye and Newbie's.This meant whipping up something quick from the kitchen and I settled on Pistachio Hedgehog Slice. Here is 220g crumbled sponge fingers, 1/3 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of pistachio kernels. The original recipe called for chocolate hazelnut cookies but I honestly think it would be too sweet, thus this minor modification.


I melted 125g unsalted butter, 100g dark chocolate and 1 tablespoon of golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat, until the ingredients combined. When it combined, I removed it from the heat for 10 minutes and whisked in an egg. I then poured this chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients.


Here is everything combined!

Though the recipe asked for a 17cm x 27cm slice tin, I found the ingredients didn't extend that far. Lucky the mixture was extremely accommodating and was easily moulded into shape. Here is the photo of the mixture moulded to half a standard slice tin.

I then topped the slice with 200g of dark chocolate and 50g of butter and popped the pan into the fridge for a couple of hours to set.


After the slice has been set, cut them into your desired shape and serve. Here are my gifts all bagged and ready for the birthday trio to enjoy. Short on time, give this recipe a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment