Thursday, April 14, 2011

Anise

I've mentioned the gorgeous Andrew and Misty in some of my previous food adventures, but it was young Andrew's 31st birthday on the weekend and a trip to was arranged. Anise is a cosy 21 seat bistro and a world away from the hustle and bustle from Brunswick Street. By stepping through the door and hopping up to the bar, you are choosing to begin your culinary adventure immediately. Anise offers an extensive selection of Absinthe, tempting cheeses, a wine flight, knowledgeable and accessible staff and oh my goodness the food! The food is gorgeous and the menu has kindly included an English translation for those kids who decided to forgo their French language education. Pictured above is one of Andrew's degustration dishes - a Local Scollop Mousseline Stuffed Zucchini Flower with Celeriac Remoulade and Chilli Jam.

Andrew and Luke decided to have the degustation, so after salivating over their petite dishes, it seemed like an age before our mains arrived. I selected an entree size Pan Fried Potato Gnocchi with Wood Mushrooms, Morel Cream and Truffle Pecorino. It more than ample for dinner and the texture of the gnocchi was amazing. Smooth, light and easily the best example I have had for some time.

I know she doesn't look like much in the dark but you're looking at something gorgeous. This is Anise's Fig Napolean layered Puff Pastry with Almond Cream and Raspberry Pruee. The figs are beautifully caramelised and well matched with the cream and pruee. So did I enjoy my trip to Anise? Absolutely! I loved the atmosphere, the concept and its unpretentious nature. But most of all I was happy to share the experience with friends and hope you will too.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.
Address: 697 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley, QLD, 4006.
Open: 7 days a week, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Phone: (07) 3217 9809
Price: Entrees: $16 - $23, Mains $36 - $45, Desserts $14.

Anise on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment