Sunday, June 19, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

With the drop in temperature, the march of the comfort food begins. I normally use a David Herbert recipe but I was far away from my beloved bookshelf so I whipped out my iPhone and logged onto Taste.com.au to locate a recipe. Though this one is pretty similar to my tried and true recipe, I found it a little watery and I had to make a couple of alterations e.g I need to have peas. However the thing I did like about this recipe is that it included carrots and celery, which I will include in my future Shepherd's Pies. So what are you looking at in the picture above? 1 chopped brown onion, 1 carrot peeled and chopped, 2 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped, cooked until soft. Then I added 700g lamb mince, browned, broke up any lumps before combining 2 tablespoons of plain flour. After this had cooked, I added two cups of beef stock, 1 dried bay lead, 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato paste. I brought the mixture to the boil before simmering for 30 minutes.



While the mixture was simmering I peeled, diced five large Cream Delight Potatoes, boiled them until soft and mashed them with butter and milk. I don't know what it is in these potatoes but they are fantastic, I found myself digging into a couple of spoonfuls of mash. Nom nom nom! Anyhow this the dish, with the lamb mixture, a scattering of peas, mash and a dusting of cayenne pepper.



If you leave this Shepherd's Pie it does eventually set. But I prefer to my pie to be ready to rock the moment it comes out of the oven. Back to David Herbert with some minor modifications. :)

1 comment:

  1. Corrections:
    bay leaf
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    Anyhow this IS the dish

    ReplyDelete