Saturday, December 18, 2010

Golden Syrup Horse Treats


I have often wondered what it was like when the first human had the foresight to tame a wild horse and ride. One of my greatest pleasures in life is my weekly dressage lesson and I count myself as an extremely fortunate individual that not only am I given the opportunity but that such a generous creature would allow me on its back. Most horse treats comprise of a number ingredients, that home cooks simply do not have access to or just aren't aesthetically pleasing. Here is a simple recipe I put together using home ingredients. You can make a number of modifications to this recipe such as substituting the rolls oats for bran, golden syrup for molasses, apple for carrot etc.

Golden Syrup Horse Treats
Makes approximately 60 treats.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups of plain flour
  • 1 cup of rolled oats
  • 1 cup of golden syrup
  • 1 grated granny smith apple

Method:

Preheat oven to 190°C. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. If necessary add more flour until the mixture becomes a malleable piece of dough.

Roll out the dough to approximately 5mm in thickness and using a cookie cutter of your choice, cut out your shapes and space evenly on an oiled tray. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Allow the treats to cool and then store in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment